hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

four funerals and a wedding...

I never did see that movie, Four Weddings and a Funeral, but for my life it's been reversed lately. My cousin is getting married next week, but it's in Utah, so I won't be able to swing it, I'd really like to go though. I've been to four funerals in the last three weeks or so. Our ward has a lot of older folks and I usually get some of the action by accompanying musical numbers. It's been interesting to me to go and hear about their lives. I can't say that I have known them well, a couple I hadn't even met. I always seem to get a bit emotional seeing the families though, and it gets me thinking of my own. I'm not ready to bury ANYONE in mine, of course, who is!? I'm glad to be able to offer a bit of service too, I think music brings such a great feeling to a funeral service, I hope mine consists of few words and lots of music :) Lately, the constants seem to be me and Emmy Collette, a great organist, I really love this lady. She came from Austria in her twenties and I always love talking to her. She has had cancer twice and was joking last night about how all her older friends keep asking if she'll play at their funerals and she said, "I'm the one who's had cancer, I should be checking out!" I told her she's off the hook for my funeral :) She's funny, wise, and incredibly strong. I love knowing all the older folks in our neighborhood! She offered to give me some organ lessons, which I plan on taking her up on. I wish I had taken organ lessons in college, but I was so into all things piano-teaching, accompanying, and performing, that it didn't even cross my mind. So here's to a new chapter in my musical life, maybe I'll get to play at all my friend's funerals!

1 comments:

idahohubers October 8, 2007 at 9:28 PM  

I admire Emmy too. She is so interesting and fills her days with activities and service even though she is old and sick! What an example. I worked in RS once with a woman who was 72 ish. I swear she was 25 at heart! She was so fun and easy going not old and cranky! Wonder how we'll be at that age...

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made