hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

all I want for Christmas...


As their mother, I guess I should have loads of ideas for Christmas and birthday gifts, the girls turn 7 in December too. But, I'm at a loss this year still, I just have a few ideas. Noah has been lining up everything from bits of food, dress-up jewelry and his trucks and making the train sound, "choo, choo." I'm envisioning some kind of magnetic train, any suggestions? I must admit, Cody and I had such fun looking at the Thomas the Train stuff in the toy dept. It's funny to see the difference between boys and girls even at such a young age, some things just come ingrained. We get the American Girl catalog occasionally and L & C pore over the dolls, they're only $100 :0 Plus, they recommend them for ages 8 plus. I found a knock-off version at Target. So yes, I guess I'm one of THOSE kind of moms, I could easily drop $400 getting two dolls and all the accessories. I plan on making a few outfits and hopefully they'll think they're still pretty great!
Now for the real sad part of the story. Lauren and Chloe know now that Santa is a hoax. I know, it seems too soon to me too. I never planned on it happening, and it was a gradual thing. They had a friend at school who kept telling them Santa isn't real-what a friend huh?! I knew Cody would be disappointed, but over the course of 3 weeks they kept asking me so many questions-none of which I had any decent answers for. Questions like- "How does Santa see everyone in one night?" "Why do some kids get a lot from Santa and other kids don't get much?" I was eventually trying to get them to figure it out, but they were begging for me to just TELL them, so I did. And they seemed o.k. with it all, I just told them to still believe in the magic and to let other kids (NOAH) enjoy believing. And by all means, don't go around broadcasting it to other kids their age who still might have a glimmer of hope left. Good grief, I think I was almost 10 before I thought, alright, it's true, he's mom and dad. Please don't flame me for telling them and posting this, I guess I have moral issues with Santa as well. Why do some kids get spoiled and others don't? Any answers Santa? I'm hoping Christmas will still be as fun as ever though, after all there are still plenty of surprises, even if they're not delivered via sleigh and reindeer, right?

P.S. Same goes for the tooth fairy, the friend exposed her as well. It's alright I suppose, we have had close to 12 visits this year :)

4 comments:

idahohubers October 25, 2007 at 11:05 PM  

You always entertain with the normal stuff of life. I'm looking at a simple magnetic train set from IKEA for $12.99 for our kids. They have more accessories and bridges and track too. May not be the best deal you can find and it's not Thomas the Train... but if you want it I'll bring it from AZ --- That's kind of like santa only in a suburban! Check ikea.com and look under kids toys. If you haven't seen the website before check out the kids rooms too. Some really cute stuff that reminds me of that photog Audra you told me about. A lot of the stuff isn't sold online. I wish we could go together! Can't you fly to Arizona for a christmas shopping day?

Melissa October 26, 2007 at 8:32 AM  

Tanya, I'm not a huge fan of Thomas the Train. (although we like the movies) I mean the train set. We have the Geotrax frpm Toys r us. They are the best, but probably to old for Noah. Apparantly, Thomas the TRain changed their set to be like the geotrax. Sorry, I'm rambling on. I am really suprised your girls lasted this long. My kids broke me down much sooner. Brynlee was going crazy with the whole santa thing and when I told her, we had a tramatic day. She was so angry at us for "lying to her" so that didnt' go so well. So I have been a little more up front with the others. Unfortunatly, I'm afraid it was my kids who told your kids. THey didnt' say anything, but I think it's something they might do? I don't know. We also have had the don't tell others conversation, but I think when kids get talking they can't help themselves! Oh, Christmas and all the decisions! We're struggling at our house to decide on presents as well!!

Melissa October 26, 2007 at 8:34 AM  

I reread what I wrote and it doesn't always make sense, I'm sorry, The second half of my post was referring to Santa Claus and when my kids figured it out!

Sweet Pea October 27, 2007 at 3:18 PM  

Tan! I know those dolls are super expensive, I used to be in love with them too! They do sell the miniature dolls for a lot less, also they have the paper dolls with all the accessories that come in the catalog for pretty cheap too. I don't know if your girls are into paper dolls, but I used to love em. Anyways, don't feel bad about santa, when I was 6 I found a list of all the santa toys from that year and the prices next to them. I went to my mom and asked how she knew the prices... it was all over from there. Anyways, we love you! Hope all is going well!

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made