hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

ahh fall time...






my favorite season...So after the first big snow of the season!?!? it's finally back to 'real' fall weather. I was NOT ready for that, give me another two months of fall please. I had to post a bunch of pictures to make up for the past month. And because they're awesome since the fabulous Lisa took them. I love the colors in this first picture. By the van I was trying to show Chloe how to bend her arms and knees and look like she was racing by, I needed some skates myself. I haven't skated for a LONG time, kind of miss going around the rink with all those bad 80's tunes blaring in the background. Anyway, back to fall-we got about 4 inches of snow on the flowers, vegetables and our two huge maple trees who had not lost their leaves yet. Streets in downtown were closed because so many tree branches were randomly falling everywhere. We lost quite a few as well. I felt so bad to hear that cracking sound and see another one hit the ground. I've had a love hate relationship with those trees. But I definitely love them now. I didn't grow up ever having to rake leaves and so inheriting these trees was a bit of a shock, not to mention a lot of work. I hated how our grass always looked littered. And my flowers would have appreciated a bit more sun, they are just so efficient, shady, and huge. But in a strange way their largeness is comforting to me, almost like a shield for our home. I know it would feel naked without them. And even the leaves are great compost, and I'm all about compost :) I think what I appreciate about them the most is how looking out the window keeps me in the here and now. If it's fall they are turning beautiful colors, in the winter they are laced with sparkling snow and ice. And when Noah was born in the spring we took a lot of naps together on my bed and I watched as new leaves emerged. And summer, wow, they're gorgeous and cool. The pods split apart making a sticky decoration for the nose as well, fantastic huh? Too bad I couldn't market those like the snore strips or something equally bizarre! I always think of those when L & C do this little trick. And I have to give thanks for my overgrown apple tree as well. I dried some slices, made applesauce, and pie filling. Fruit trees are so fun, wish I had a couple more. Thanks for funny kids who always keep me laughing and remind me that leaves fall on the ground for the sole purpose of being jumped and played in...happy raking!

1 comments:

Lisa Huber October 10, 2007 at 10:45 PM  

I always love reading your posts. Your discription of the trees is great. Glad you like the pics - I better warn people that if I come over to play I bring my camera. It's all fun to me! Your girls are SO wonderful. The more I get to know them the more fabulous I can tell their mom is :)

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made