hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

Boozer, Dozer, Booger, or something like that...


Yes folks, you can pick up your jaws from off the hair covered floor-this is a real live dog standing in my kitchen- OUR real live dog! Meet Boozer, according to one paper, the other two papers he came with said his name was Dozer. So the only guy who knows can't even tell us what his true name is. I'm not especially fond of either name, and with L & C it's been coming out Booger, Doozer, or something not quite right :) So, he's going by many names lately.
Anyway, this little friend entered our lives suddenly and unexpectedly. Cody was searching on Petfinder-which I think had become a regular occurence- and he spotted a Boston Terrier at our Humane Society. We both had thought that this breed would be a good fit for our family. And it seems this breed, maybe purebreds in general are not too common at the shelters. Cody immediately went into panic mode as he called to see if he was still available and rounded everyone up for the trip there. And no way were we going to think about it overnight- "what if he's gone tomorrow?" I guess somewhere inside I knew that if we went he would be coming home with us. He was pretty excited to see us, a little more reserved with men in general it seems. He's proven to be a good little guy so far. I really appreciate that he is already house trained and had only one small problem at night. Plus, he's past that annoying puppy stage with the chewing and hyperactivity. He's done very well with L & C, in Chloe's words- "Today is the best day of my whole life!" Who am I to deny her of the best day in seven years??? I guess that's what I came to realize-that life is too short to not sometimes take a chance and to stress about hair on the floor. Heck, just the five of us leave plenty of that lying around. I kept telling Cody there was a dog out there for me and I think he thought it was just a lame cop out or excuse, but I did mean it, and I think we've found him. The craziest thing of all is that here I am-a bit anti-dog, leery, cautious, clean freak- and this dog has totally attached itself to me. Dare I say, I am his favorite Hansen? I think so. He followed me around the whole day, everywhere. Flattering, the girls are a close second, he was sad to see them head off to school this morning. I think he will warm up more to Cody eventually, it's only been a day. It always makes you wonder what happened in his life before you to make him react certain ways. He and Noah are doing best just avoiding each other almost. Noah can't physically take his excitement when he jumps or licks so I played referee and toted Noah around a lot. But in just one day he's mellowed quite a bit.
I had to laugh- as I was filing away his papers and shot records today the brochure stated- "A pet is for life." Wow, am I up to it? I think so, I hope so, because reading that seemed pretty final. Somehow, seeing my husband and kids enjoying him- and shhh- even me a little- it will make those extra vacuum sessions worth it. He is cute don't you think?

3 comments:

idahohubers January 19, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

I've been checking in for the picture of the dog - he is cute and a good size for little kids. The day we get a dog will probably go down a lot like yours did, but Jake will be the one dragging his feet.

Anyway - congrats!

Anonymous January 21, 2008 at 11:21 AM  

Not only did my jaw drop to the floor, I lost it entirely!! :-) How great is this! I am proud of you. I believe what you say that life is too short to worry about some things that really won't matter much in the long run. Congratulations and I can't believe you didn't call! :-) I'm looking forward to meeting what did you say? Booger?! :-)
love, grandma Yost

Anonymous January 23, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

You guys have to call him Boozer, doesn't he kinda look like Carlos Boozer from the Jazz?(I'm sure Cody will appreciate that name) :) Congrats! Carrie ready your blog last night and called me today at the pet store begging me to give in...see what you've done :)
Love, Loren

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made