hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

signs of summer...






Ah yes, two more days of school and the hot lazy days of summer will start. As you read I'm typing from the floor of what was Chloe's bedroom, doesn't make a great computer desk, but for the time being that's what I have to work with. I've totally been avoiding any household cleaning figuring what's the point since it will be dusty and dirty the next weekend when work resumes. I guess I could still clean the bathroom! However, my yard has benefited the most from this remodel. Since the kitchen is the only somewhat clean and intact room to hang out in I head outdoors a lot lately. I feel behind on planting my garden this year, but I did get it ready and the hay aisles laid down, probably tomorrow. I did get my tomatoes in, in a much better spot than last year, so I have high expectations.

Signs that summer is upon the Hansens...
-dirty feet all the time, the ritual of washing feet in the bathtub before bed begins- even for me, I'm just as bad as the kids
-sidewalk chalk everywhere, on cement, bodies, clothing, shoes. Hoping for a good rain when I can't handle anymore.
-fragrances-my neighbor's lilac bush, basil in my little herb patch, freshly mowed grass, sunscreen, sweaty kids...
- Reed's Dairy for the best and cheapest ice cream. They also have hay and manure aplenty for folks like myself :)
-homemade popsicles, I'm not a huge fan of Otter pops, mainly because I pick up plastic all summer. These are so yummy, I'll probably still make them when my kids are all grown up and gone :)
Two of our favorites you can try:

Blend chocolate soy (or dairy) milk with a banana or two

Blend frozen cherries with apple juice concentrate, a little water and a few frozen blueberries

What are signs that summer is coming YOUR way??

2 comments:

idahohubers May 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM  

Fun times ahead! I can't believe you have planted already. I'm kindof slacking in my garden planning. I have noticed how dirty my kids get though, one drawback of summertime. YOur popcicle ideas sound YUM! Signs that summer is here for me. . . I mow the lawn once a week and have another "room" to clean now - the backyard! The kids digging toys and trucks are everywhere.

Aaron May 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

I am loving that we only have one week of school left. I think that is the biggest sign of summer. It just doesn't feel like we have hit summer until both of the kids are home with me ;)

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made