hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

dieing to dye...



Lauren and Chloe have been pestering me about dying eggs for the last couple weeks so a little egg dying was in order this afternoon with friends. Of course a dozen eggs was not enough, but it's all I had on hand last night to boil. Noah woke up in the middle of it and was quite intrigued by all the bowls of color and was a little curious as to why the eggs were colored. I have to admit that dying eggs is not something I do every year with L & C, I think mostly because the sometimes overly frugal part of my brain rationalizes, "Well, gosh, I'm going to waste a whole bunch of eggs that will sit out, get smashed, becoming anything but usable." But in keeping with my new personal motto of late, "what will be will be," I dove in and really had fun today. And yeah, half of them were smashed or otherwise mutilated, but a couple were actually eaten.

How much did I dive in? On Wednesday night in my lame attempt to be a bit Martha Stewart-ish I tried to poke holes in each end of the egg and blow out the contents, satisfying my need to actually USE the egg. After poking five eggs and crushing two of those in the blowing process, two things were really bothering me. I had a bunch of raw egg in my mouth. Now if the egg was in cookie dough, I wouldn't have any problem eating it raw, but who needs salmonella? Plus, I have a bit of a sinus infection and like blowing up a balloon, this strenuous activity was doing nothing to relieve it. So I gave up, has anybody ever attempted this? Sounded fun and easy, but was neither. (I did pierce the yolk, still had trouble.) Anyway, enough about eggs, hope you all have a beautiful Easter and hooray-it's spring break here. There will be some sleeping in here at the Hansens :)

2 comments:

Anonymous March 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM  

I laugh, Tan, when I hear of your pioneering spirit , you do have some of my characteristics, like it or not :-) I too, would be attempting to "save the egg". "Save the sinuses" would definitely be the best scenerio. Looks so fun - beautiful eggs. I remember when we did that together!
Love,
mom

Ball of Fire March 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

I have in fact blown eggs...although not an enitre DOZEN! yikes, that would give anyone a headache. Kudos for trying. I found that if you use a toothpick to break the yoke then shake the egg (to scramble) its much easier to blow out. The easiest thing to do though, is make a potato salad and have your first spring picnic or make develed eggs which dont seem to last long (in our house anyway) then you wont feel the need to save

The Duponts

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made