hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

3 reasons to love my man...

1. The most important one- How he honors and uses his priesthood to give blessings to sick little ones. What a huge blessing in my life!

2. He fixed our computer, which hasn't been able to burn pictures onto CD's for about 4 months. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm a bit anal about backups, having learned the hard way. I spent several hours doing my best and even resorted to calling a Geek Squad in the Yellow Pages. And then he sits down, figures it out, and tosses out the phrase "Who's the man?" Definitely. He's THE man.

3. He just bought me this canner! Hooray, now I can do vegetables and beans. I'm most excited about the beans, we eat a lot of them and while cooking them in the pressure cooker gets great results it requires planning ahead....you know the rest of the story. So, how nice it will be to pull out a bottle of beans. And I can can them anytime of the year. Not just that crazy month in September when I'm so burned out. But this story doesn't end happy tonight. I went to Walmart at nine o'clock, just to pick up the canner and for a few odds and ends of course. I made it home with all the odds and ends plus more and forgot about the canner completely. That's what superstores do to me. I get the glazed look, just staring at everything, trying to focus on needs, not wants and getting out of there in a timely manner. Oh well, it should still be waiting for me. Any hints for canning legumes? Please share...

3 comments:

Melissa March 5, 2008 at 8:33 AM  

I guess, I'm confused? If you could cook them in a pressure canner to cook them, you couldn't do bottles before? I did a bunch last year and It was the easiest best thing ever. I am already out. I will be doing more next year. And yes I could do more now, but I would have to do it in the garage-and It's too cold it would be quite the process so the bottles wouldn't break! I can't do my canning inside. The beans you can yourself taste better and have a better texture in my opinion. I am more likely to eat the beans if I don't have to soak them. SO I can almost everything these days. GOOD LUCK!

Hansen family March 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

Ah Melissa- it was late :) I cook them now in my 8 quart pressure COOKER, which is great. They have great taste and texture, I do have to plan ahead though, so I'm looking forward to canning them!

idahohubers March 6, 2008 at 8:28 PM  

I really need to learn how to can. YOu and Melissa make it sound so fun. Glad to know I'm not the only one who walks through walmart with a glazed look at night!

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made