hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

what kind of cook are you?

Well, this time of year always gets me in baking mode, from about now until after Christmas. I think it's how the oven warms your home and the comforting smell of something yummy baking. I just can't walk past those huge displays with the 12 kinds of chocolate, nuts, and everything else needed to make your kitchen smell delicious. Having discovered these little lovelies last year I just couldn't pass by all the supplies today at Walmart. So standing in my kitchen today baking all afternoon (because it's makes a big batch mind you) I had to ask myself what the deal was. Being almost ready to have a baby my freezer should be stocked with quick, tasty, and healthy meals. But lately it's baking that's been happening around here. I've got bread, rolls, buns, apple bars, pumpkin cookies, and a lone pan of mac n' cheese for my post-natal lineup. We'll be eatin' well in that department anyway.

Which brought me to a whole other question. What kind of cook are you? Cody teases me because I don't always measure too precisely- or at all. Not because I'm an expert by any means, just too lazy to dirty a teaspoon. Especially when it's something like muffins that I've made hundreds of time for breakfast. I would much rather make bread than dinner, cookies over lunch. I think I get stuck in a dinner rut too often, fixing the same standbys until my family is so tired of them they aren't standbys anymore :) So help a girl out, if you have an awesome tried and true dinner recipe, post it, or post a link, I'd be forever grateful! But do try the cookie recipe, I'm betting it will ruin you, other pumpkin cookies just won't stack up! Happy baking...

3 comments:

Andi November 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM  

Hey Tanya - what a fun post! I am a bit of a different kind of cook than you. I do totally get into the baking mood in the fall, but I tend to stick to what I know, like apple pie. One Christmas I tried cinnamon rolls (yum!), but that's about as brave as I ever get. I think my apprehension toward baking comes from too many years of having unreliable ovens, even though the one I have now is decent. I love to cook new and different meals for dinner (but I think everyone gets in the standby rut, too)! My favorite source for new recipes is foodnetwork.com, but I usually only check out those from my favorite TV chefs, like Paula Deen and Guy Fieri. Their recipes are usually easy and tasty!Lately, I have been making Mongolian BBQ-type stir fry at home, and it is so yummy and easy to prepare!
Good luck with the babe - are you counting down the days? I know I am!

Kristy November 5, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

HI! I think I'm coming to your house for a snack!! Sounds tasty over there! I'll give you some recipes sometime, and I still want that cookie recipe of yours! Good luck with the delivery, I bet you can't wait! I'm excited to meet your new little baby.

Kristy November 6, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

THANKS!! I've printed it out and will make them soon!

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made