hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

love by association...


Does a Valentine Day ever pass without seeing these little goodies all over the shelves at the stores? Not for me. I've honestly never really liked them too much until 2002 when Paul Windley became bishop of the Moscow University 4th ward. I served as R.S. Pres. and Activities chairman under him and really grew to love him and appreciate his quiet wisdom and subtle humor. One year ago he passed away after a battle with cancer. In his office it was not uncommon to see sweethearts. He would buy them by the box in February so they would last most of the year. I've never known anyone who liked them quite that much. Anyway, each time I see them I think of him. Still don't love the candy, but I love the memory of it.

So maybe that whole concept would work with my kids. I do love stir-fry, but I think I stand alone with that dish in our family. I keep making it in the hopes of changing some tastebuds, isn't that the definition of insanity? Today I thought I would try to give them the complete Asian experience by also making fortune cookies, in the hopes that they would be so excited that the stir-fry would just be part of the dinner package. They were super simple and like most home-made things tasted much better than the store-bought ones. I even got the privilege of making my own fortunes- (Great happiness will come to you as you make your bed each morning :) Just kidding! Sadly, the stir-fry was still picked over and complained about, although not as much as usual. Of course, the cookies were received well. Maybe I need a new stir-fry recipe- a crunchy one with sugar or maybe chocolate...hmm.

1 comments:

idahohubers February 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

Cute cookies and towel! Hee hee. I'm totally going to make them soon. I don't like the hearts so much either but found a fun way to enjoy them one long day at one of my college jobs... Make funny poems out of them and hot glue them to paper. It's fun and you never have to eat them! Now I can't have them around with out making poems first.

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made