hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

pea season...

We spent last weekend in Bancroft enjoying family and the Pioneer day parade. When I went out to water the parched garden I noticed the peas were ready for picking. One of my personal favorites- garden peas just can't be duplicated. L & C were quite enthusiastic about shelling them this year which was a huge help. Ivy even got a few tastes, mashed of course. I think tonight we'll be having creamed potatoes and peas- yum. I feel sad that we'll be nearly moved out when our tomatoes, squash, zucchini, onions, and carrots are ready. Do any locals want to adopt our garden?
It is super weedy you must be warned :)

Just a bit of mostly useless information. Should your hamster pass away within the 15 day guaranteed period- you ARE required to bring it back into the pet store to prove it has indeed died if you decide hamsters are not for you and a refund is desired. Nasty- yes- but true. When we left this weekend I knew lil' Daisy was not doing well. I'll spare you details, I just was doubtful that she'd make it until we got back. And when we did pull in I raced in to see how she had fared. Not so good. Yesterday we buried her in the back yard and decided we're going to wait until this move is over and possibly get two outdoor kittens. L & C really want something to love and cuddle and I'm afraid a hamster deosn't quite fit the bill. I have to be honest and admit I'm relieved. For as capable as they are as 8 year olds I was still needing to assist in the cleaning of the cage and all that jazz. Don't tell them I don't miss it. I was sad to see them so sad though, it's never easy, even it's just been a week. One less thing to move I say! Anyone know where I could grab some boxes for moving? I'm realizing it's going to take many many many boxes. I'm motivated.....I'm excited.....I'm full of good affirmations....please let them work....



6 comments:

Steve O'Connor & Shay Yost July 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

Sorry about your loss. BUT those peas should cheer everyone up, they look SO yummy! I wish i could come over for dinner, and then help you move afterwards. I love the picture of Ivy, very vintage!
Love you!

Andi July 27, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Did you really have to bring her in to get the refund?!?! Gross!
Count us in on the adopt-a-garden. :)
(Thanks for the awesome birthday card and gift - so thoughtful and I love it!)

Melissa July 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Hey, Tanya, sorry about the hampster, but now you know for next time if you REALLY want a Hampster or not!! :) good idea about the kittens though. Count us in as well for the garden. Mine's not doing so great! :) good luck with the boxes. (Cody could probaby get some from walmart. That's what we did when we worked there and were moving. The good ones come from the chemical cleaner department. They're sturdy and not to big.)

Ball of Fire July 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

I could have told you they dont last long...but in the end its still heartbreaking to see the kids upset. I always check the free ads for moving boxes...also people set the uhaul boxes out by their trash cans for recycling. If you dont care about size but want durable...liquor store boxes are the best....Take it from a professional mover.

Carla July 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

Try finding boxes at the city recycling sites. Pocky has them around town and I just go and take out what people have put in. I don't know if IF has them or not. Just don't go after a rain storm.

Anonymous July 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

Peas and potatoes! :-), garden and a deceased hamster all in one weekend! Whew! And on top of everything else too! But your doing well, keep those healthy affirmations coming!
I am in agreement on the kitten idea!

Love you,
grandma/mom Yost

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made