hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

birthday boy...



Three years ago right now- five o clock- my water broke. I'd been grocery shopping and feeling a bit sickish. How excited I was to meet this little fella a mere four hours later. He's been such a bright spot in my life, so glad to have at least one little boy. He's been a pure pleasure to have in our family. I think it's crazy he's so infatuated with Spiderman, considering he's never seen the movie and knows almost nothing about him. (Notice the three fingers he chose- three years old spider-style!) Only when you're turning three can your parents get away with postponing your birthday until the following day. Cody has the day off so we're doing gifts and cake tomorrow, but we've been wishing him happy birthday all day today.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of birthday cakes and if my math is right, by the time my kids leave the nest I'll have made over 70! Really though, who wants crumbling cake when there's desserts like cheesecake or banana cream pie? Not me. I think it's the frosting that gets me, I only have a couple recipes I like. I think this one's pretty common, but if you've never tried it please do. If you really want to spoil yourself, pipe it into cupcakes and call it a twinkie...

Creamy Frosting
1 1/2 cups milk
4 Tbl. flour
1 cup sugar

Combine in a saucepan and cook over medium, stirring constantly until very thick. Transfer to bowl, cover with saran wrap to prevent a "skin" forming and cool in the fridge.

Beat 1 cup butter and 1 tsp vanilla until creamy. Add cooled milk mixture and beat for 4-5 minutes.

Happy birthday Noah, today and tomorrow, we love you1

3 comments:

Steve O'Connor & Shay Yost May 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Love the spiderman cake!
I was reading back in one of my journal today and it was on May 13, 2006 and I wrote that you were having Noah... He's getting so old!

Cheryl May 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

I'll have to try your frosting recipe. We always go for the old reliable cream cheese frosting, but this sounds good. You must be doing a good job at culturing your only boy. At three, my boy was in love with "My little Pony"

Anonymous May 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

Tanya, will you make me a cake like that for MY birthday?? I love spiderman too!!! It's nice to make Noah smile....three year-old birthday handsome hansen.

Love,
Grandma and Grandpa Yost

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made