hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

Super- what??

It was one of those days...not for me, but for Lauren. It's what you impossibly hope that your kids never have to feel-alone, ostracized, or as she put it- embarrassed. But we've all been there, and we all get through it. Lauren's had a substitute teacher since the middle of December whom she has not enjoyed too much. Today the sub tells that class that they're going to share with the class how they celebrated the Super-Bowl. The Super-Bowl- are you kidding me? All hands go up and the sharing starts. It sounded like Pepsi and chips were the highlights, oh, and the game. Lauren was humiliated since we were traveling home from spending the weekend with grandparents and completely missed it. I, of course start naming classmates who I venture probably didn't see the game after all, but she insisted she was the only one.

I didn't mean to laugh, but that was my first reaction. She doesn't ever watch sports of any kind on TV. Poor girl, she felt like she'd missed a really important rite of passage. I tried to downplay the whole event, telling her the only party I ever went to was when my roommate- a fanatical Broncos fan hosted one in our apartment. I guess my own attitude about the Super-Bowl affected my answer because I couldn't care less about it. I have no problem with it, it doesn't interest me too much. No mention of it in Chloe's class. I just felt bad that she felt so crummy about it, maybe we'll host our own "Hooray-this-over-rated-sporting-event-is-over" party. And next time I think it's probably safe to assume that if it didn't take place at school, everyone probably didn't participate. Are we the only weirdos who didn't watch yesterday?

6 comments:

Andi February 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

I watched by default only until Shawn left, then spent the rest of the evening with Mama Mia. Emma wouldn't have had a clue either! By the way, how come Lauren hasn't enjoyed the sub?

Anonymous February 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

I feel the same way Tan... I could care less. Plus a family guideline about no T.V. watching on Sunday helps the cause :). Give Lauren a big hug from us and tell her she's a leader instead of a follower! :)
Love Ya'll! Carrie

Carla February 2, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

Sorry, but I married a May and you can guess what we did yesterday. The party was complete with chips, little smokies, and wings.

Steve O'Connor & Shay Yost February 3, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

I didn't watch a second of it... even turned down a super bowl party for a nap!
Way over rated! Poor Lauren!

Ila February 4, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

Being that Seth isn't a TV sport watcher and we don't get TV in our house, I didn't even realize it was "the big day!" That is definetly one of the harder points of growing up (feeling left out)...hopefully she bounces back quickly!

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

I feel badly that this is what society has come to! You would hope that a substitute teacher would have something a bit more "educational" to address a class of second graders than asking how they celebrated Super Bowl Sunday. I guess it's to be expected that the Sabbath Day means little to so many and that spending quality time with family doing something other than gathering around a t.v., just isn't acceptable. You tell Lauren that her grandma loves her and that she is never alone if she remembers "whose she is." And that encompasses those here and beyond! xo Grandma Yost

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made