hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

"please bless this food"- not a trite phrase...

Well tonight was a first for me. I have to say some pretty tasty things have come out of my kitchen, as well as some equally nasty dishes, but never yet have I caused anyone to be sick- that I'm aware of anyway!

Cody has a friend with celiac disease who we have over because he's a friend, but mostly because he helps move heavy furniture and is a computer whiz :) I always make a good salad and we usually have steak. Well, today I was caught off guard when Cody called at 3 p.m. telling me he was coming to dinner. You would have thought I could have really whipped up something delicious since I'd been shopping this morning, one of those trips that drains your account and you pull away hoping all that food will last a REALLY long time. Not so apparently-the yummy dinner- the marinade I put the steaks in had soy sauce which has wheat. (As a side note I learned that if I'd used the cheap stuff I don't care for it would have been o.k.- go figure) Anyway, he's polished off about 2/3 of his steak and then asks what went into the marinade. I cautiously start naming off ingredients. The look on his face said it all, he pushed his plate away. He couldn't even finish his huge salad since it was on the same plate! The kids were all confused saying "what's wrong" over and over.

I was mortified. I'm not used to cooking for anyway with special dietary needs- obviously. I hope that he's not sick tomorrow. I do however think we need to come up with a better way to thank him for his services rather than dinner. Cody and I will have to discuss it... So tonight he dined on salad- a new one- and a fruit smoothie Cody whipped up. Oh, and my personal favorite- a glass of chocolate soy milk, what a meal. I hope he feels alright tomorrow.

So, apparently all soy sauces are not created equal, the good stuff has wheat in it, no wonder I like it better. Not a problem for me, but caused quite a rumpus at our dinner table. Say a prayer for this good man :) and always disclose your ingredients BEFORE digging in!

2 comments:

Carla February 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

I can sympathize with you. Did you know that Josh has celiac disease? He has been diagonsed for about 6 years. Not many people have us over for dinner and if they do tbere is always quite a discussion over the menu.

Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

That was certainly a learning experience for sure. I've never had anything happen like that. When I worked in Lava and there was a group having dinner down at the conference center, a woman that was allergic to peanuts ate a Thai dish we had served that contained peanuts. She ended up going to the hospital. HOpe to see you on Saturday!

Love mom

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made