hansen happenings

...random thoughts from our lives...

the year of the real dead tree...



On one of those crazy de-junking days in mid-July our took our artificial tree to D.I. sure that it would be replaced with something taller, fuller, and pre-lit. I didn't think twice about it. I bought it when we were in college and it's seen us through quite a few seasons. Somehow up to this point, Christmas trees have not made any of my lists, priorities or shopping.

But somehow it is already December 8! I managed to find all the decor, only half of which actually found a spot in our small home. But the girls have been relentlessly bugging us about a tree. Personally this year, I could have managed o.k. without one, well, maybe not, but we do have a one year old residing with us. That didn't excite me too much. Last night Cody found one and brought it home. Today while assembling the stand and putting in up I told Noah we have a real tree this year, but he insisted it was not real, but instead dead. Wise. I guess he's right and the thought of chopping one down every year just seems silly when you can have a perfectly good fake one.

I found it impossible to string the lights or bead garland on in any graceful or organized manner, the branches poked out or were missing entirely in all the wrong places. I then surrendered to the inevitable. The kids loved it. Once I got the lights on I just let them have free reign to put whatever wherever, which isn't my style at all. I don't need a designer tree, but I have been known to hide away a few of the school made ornaments (shame-but tell me you haven't wanted to also!) (See the lovely bead wreath.) I usually rearrange some of the "ornament clumps", but nah, not this year. It's going au naturel in all of it's clumpy glory. It was a decent enough tree, there are a few spots that look as if a large animal took a bite, but it's tall and thin and fits the little space it was alloted in our living room. Sometimes it's refreshing to just let things be, perfectly imperfect. Hey, it's only a month right? And it does smell terrific!

3 comments:

Cheryl December 9, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

I love it! It's all about the memories right?

Andi December 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

Your tree belongs at my house - I LOVE those gangly, awkward trees with big chunky holes!! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

:-)

words we love...


"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in."

the hansens

the hansens

Lauren

Chloe

Noah

Ivy

stuff I've made